0

Oh, CNN and Other Texting No-nos.

Posted by Allyson on 1:43 PM
Today I signed up to get CNN text alerts when something amazing or incredible happens in the world (at least what CNN is reporting, which we all know is NOT the whole story). However, upon receiving my "confirmation" text I was greeted with this:
"UR now registered for CNN Breaking News Mobile Alerts...Reply 'HELP' 4help."
What? CNN. Shame. On. You. First of all, UR is NOT an acceptable substitute for 'you are', in fact the only substitute for those two words is 'you're'. And 4?? Is it too much to get a 'for' instead? Is CNN trying to appeal to the demographic that texts like that? 13-year-old girls? OMG leik cnn is ttly txting meeee 4real
No. I expected better of you, CNN.

Also, I received an IM the other day that included the abbreviation "jw." At first I thought I was being called a Jew. That or something about my jaw. But no, apparently it means "just wondering." This is also not acceptable. People, when you have a full keyboard at your disposal USE IT! I am firmly behind the school of thought that encourages proper grammar and spelling. Text-spelling is going to be the downfall of the English language, so please, please don't let it go to the teens.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Short Excursions Into Allyson's Mind All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Distributed by Blogger Templates | Blog Themes